IBM Rational Quality Manager Review

Global Configuration allows the user to maintain different versions of the same artifact. It does not provide inbuilt capabilities for managing the tasks related to testing.

What is most valuable?

In the latest version, Global Configuration is the most promising feature as it allows the user to maintain different versions of the same artifact in different streams. Another feature that I consider important is integration with the automation tools.

How has it helped my organization?

Reporting on the QA activities as well as managing test execution cycles helped our organization to better manage the QA activities.

What needs improvement?

There are a couple of things that can be improved:

1. The user interface can be improved; it is the same interface that I have been seeing for the past so many years, whereas the other CLM modules changed significantly.
  2. It does not provide inbuilt capabilities for managing the tasks and planning activities related to testing. For this purpose, you need to buy another module, i.e., IBM Rational Team Concert (RTC).

I have used this solution for seven years.

Recently, we encountered some defects related to the global categories. We opened the defects with IBM, and later on, they provided us with a fix pack.

There were no scalability issues.

Technical support is above average.

The setup was a bit complex as it requires some expertise.

Two types of licensing policies are available:

1. There is the Authorized license which is bound to the user, i.e., if the user is not using it, then others can't use it either.
  2. There is floating one, which is a pool of licenses (if the user is not using it, then others can use it).

When I joined my current organization, they were already using IBM RQM.

What other advice do I have?

Tweak your testing process. It is also better to align the organization in terms of how the tool works.