IBM Rational Synergy Review

Users must go through a lot of steps to properly manipulate this solution, which can interrupt workflows and cause unnecessary downtime

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for configuration management in accordance with DO-178, which is a guide for avionics certification. We manage all source code items, documentation, specifications, tests, documents, peer review artifacts. We produce all the data. I manage the configuration control with Synergy as well all the Mircosoft word and MS Office documents since we use MS Word to produce specifications.

What is most valuable?

Managing source code, tracking modifications, and being able to analyze evolutions of source code are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see more integration with respect to requirement management, though this is not possible with this Synergy solution. I know that PTC enables this feature as well as Polarion. We need to have full trustworthiness and accountability in knowing that the tool will track every modification from specification through to the source code, with Synergy this isn't possible. The solution requires additional tools like rectify, desktop system solutions, to enable trustability between requirements, from one specification to another.

More than five years.

It's very stable. There has been no evolution over the past few years. It's a dead tool.

The scalability is not very good. It's actually quite complex. It's not very easy to use. Forget about using Python and there is no Affirm API to access and integrate this tool. I would say it's not very scalable.

Their technical support isn't that good at all.

What other advice do I have?

We are required to use this tool by DO-178 guidance. We have to use a configuration management tool and this is the one we have been using. People see this tool more like a constraint than a benefit.

Users really have to know how to use this tool and how to set the baseline functionalities for their case. The user must go through a lot of steps to properly manipulate this solution, which can interrupt workflows and cause unnecessary downtime. Synergy requires user training and development.

It's not user-friendly. You have to perform a lot of manipulations; it's a bit archaic.

Some people are reluctant to use this tool because they are familiar with and proficient in using Windows Explorer to navigate through directories and use WinZip to archive data. It is not a very good tool for document management.

I would rate this solution a three out of ten because it's an old tool. It was a good tool 15 years ago. To get a ten out of ten I would need to see a more integrated user-friendly tool and it should be competitively priced as it is it's too expensive.

I don't recommend using it because it's obsolete.