IBM Rational System Architect Review

Versatile plugin and data importation features but some aspects of the UI lack a common functional framework

What is most valuable?

The product supports a variety of meta-frameworks (Zachman, Togaf 9) and application portfolio scoring models. The product also has a very versatile plugin and data importation set of features that allows for the construction of heterogeneous models comprised of multiple internal and external model constructs.

How has it helped my organization?

The System Architect Product has greatly assisted the corporate strategic planning process in two areas: the simulation of scenarios for Enterprise Transformation Projects and providing a global view of Enterprise Capabilities and Functional Gaps.

What needs improvement?

Some aspects of the user interface lack a common navigational or functional framework.

Two years.

No issues encountered.

Customer service has been better than adequate.

I rate technical support highly.

No previous solution used.

Straightforward.

In house team handled implementation.

We rate the ROI as being as high as the manual alternatives (ad hoc test models) are much more expensive.

The day-to-day cost is a combination of capitalized operational and license costs.

We also looked at Sparx EA, and Archimate.

What other advice do I have?

Understand the totality of the modelling activities in the enterprise and how to best incorporate these model-building activities into an over-arching model construction framework.