IBM Rational System Architect Review

Modeling is useful, but many features need improvement and technical support is lacking

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution for building enterprise architecture models. It is an on-premises deployment model.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is modeling.

What needs improvement?

I find that almost every feature related to the models requires improvement. For example, I would like to see more trendy models, the look and feel of the models can be improved.

This solution can be more user-friendly and easier to use, with better dashboards.

The impact analysis feature is in need of heavy improvement.

The is a standalone product that lacks integration with a business process automation engine.

I would like to see the workflow improved, where it integrates seamlessly with the artifacts.

I have been using this solution for about ten years.

This solution is stable, although more features need to be added.

This solution is scalable from a modeling perspective. You can count on it, like that. However, it lacks scalability in terms of integration with the process automation engine.

We plan to increase our usage, although we are first trying to replace this product with a newer one. We have more demand, but I would attribute that to the practice, rather than the tool. Increase in our stakeholders would require us to have new and additional licenses, but we are not happy with this product and are not planning to continue with it.

I'm not very happy with technical support because it was recently moved from IBM to UNICOM. They have a different model so we do not have a support agreement. We have several issues, including the fact that we no longer get free upgrades.

It hasn't been very easy since the days of Telelogic, where support was much easier. It became more complicated when it moved to IBM, and now it has been further complicated with UNICOM.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward, and the deployment takes approximately thirty minutes.

Maintenence of this solution is minimal, needing one to two people.

We hired a consultant to assist with our deployment, but it can be done in-house.

We have seen ROI with this solution over the years that we have used it.

When we chose this solution, IBM was the only product who had regional support in this market. They were also leading the quadrant, so we didn't have much of a choice at that time.

We are currently looking at competing solutions to replace this one.

What other advice do I have?

From a tool progress perspective, we have seen very little investment from the principal vendor in terms of feature enhancement.

My advice to anyone who is researching this type of solution is to resist looking at the product features. Instead, look for the product investment, the product roadmap, and how they have positioned the product in their portfolio. Then, based on these factors, make a choice. Today the product might be leading, but if it loses its interest and you don't see considerable improvement then the support will deteriorate.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.