IBM Rational Test Virtualization Server Review

I would recommend it due to the robust infrastructure implementation and good technical support supporting standards

What is most valuable?

We use it for service virtualization in our company.

I am reviewing this product more for its Rational Test Virtualization Server - RTVS feature (the RIT aspect). The RTVS tool is something that comes in a package along with the Rational Test Workbench.

What needs improvement?

The main feature of the product is to support you with service virtualization for various components. However, some peripheral features need vast improvement, namely the reporting and the dashboard areas.

I work very closely with the IBM product management team, and I know that in the next release, they are going to drop in some of these reporting features.

We bought this product at the end of the year 2013 and have been using it ever since.

It is an absolutely stable tool and we have not experienced any downtime. It couldn't have been better. We have been using this tool for approximately 300-odd services, and we have not experienced an issue with it even once.

It has a lot of scalability. Initially, we purchased this tool with 10 goals in mind, but we haven’t used it for more than eight goals. Even with these goals, it wasn't that difficult to actually scale the product. Our initial plan was to start out with 100 services or so. From then, we have grown three fold, reaching to around 300 services today. In spite of that, we have experienced no major issues whatsoever.

Their technical support is a big strong point.

Ours is an independent challenge union that performs test environments. We were looking out for tools that would help us support challenges better. After a lot of market research, we procured the IBM tool as it provided us with a service virtualization solution that was apt for our environment.

We had some issues to start with as their documentation, although good, is Windows based. Because we were using Linux-based services, this gave rise to some challenges during installation. Eventually, this was resolved by an IBM technical consultant, who walked us through the entire process. I guess if you have good relationships with IBM, they do actually provide you with over-and-above technical support hours varying according to the terms of the contract.

This product has a free trial available with limited features, saving on initial investment costs.

What other advice do I have?

Indeed, I would recommend it; one major reason being that this product not only has a robust infrastructure implementation, it also has good technical support supporting standards from IBM.

This tool has been developed by another company which has now been bought by IBM, yet they (IBM) have retained the entire team, which possesses immense experience and also provides support in case you get stuck. In other words, if you know to make use of this tool appropriately, it could harness great benefits for your organization.