IBM Rational Test Virtualization Server Review

It helped us to build IBM MQ based stubs and automated test cases. I would like it to be more user friendly.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped us to build IBM MQ based stubs and automated test cases swiftly. Organization for which I use this in exploring the latest technologies and IBM MQ is wide spread among all. IBM RTVS helped to play with MQ where RFH, RFH2 headers were used to carry data.

What is most valuable?

IBM RTVS has many useful features, but support for IBM MQ over this tool is unbeatable. It has very easy and good validation techniques used for SWIFT, XSD, and WSDL validations. Another feature is where we can specify optional nodes/tags of XML or any other type of message format within the test and stub definitions. This is also unbeatable.

What needs improvement?

One of the biggest disappointments for me and my team was dependency on various patches, or so call clients for every single technology. You have to download and install clients for HTTP/ MQ/ JMS or any other type of protocol. Ideally, the tool should come as a complete package having support for all technologies and protocols.

User friendliness: I would rate it somewhere around 5/10 in terms of user-friendliness. It can be simpler to build stubs and middle-ware based test cases compared to the solution given by RTVS.

I have been using this tool for somewhere between 2 and 3 years.

The tool is pretty much stable. You generally don't face many issues with the given tool and features.

There are so many challenges and dependencies in order to add custom features to the tool. It has very limited assertions, filters, and the addition any of the custom solutions is a tedious job.

Customer service was excellent when IBM owned this tool. Now HCL has took over, so we'll have to wait for their services.

Some of the excellent members who were part of Greenhat are still part of this tool. If you encounter any problems, and if you are lucky enough to get support from any of them, then trust me that you are in safe hands.

I have used many tools for service virtualization like, IBM RIT, CA LISA (now known as CA Service Virtualization DevTest Solution), HPE Virtualization, and Parasoft. Every tool has its own pros and cons. However, CA LISA/ DevTest is still the king of the ring and is unbeatable.

The initial setup was very simple and straightforward. However, setting up RTVS, its database, and patches is somewhere between medium and complex. However, as you start using it, with time you will find it simple.

We set up everything on our own, but a little support was given by the support team when needed. You need to raise support cases to get expert help.

We improved productivity by 200%, but it has nothing to do with any specific tool in this field. Any tool can give you 200% of up to 500% quick solution, considering you have the right skill set and the exact tool to meet your requirements.

IBM RTVS is not that expensive compare to other giants, but it is still much ahead of some other tool having less features. Always check what you need, assess tools based on your requirements, and then purchase. Generally, people run behind big names and invest so much money, but we should know we are going to purchase and what the plan is to utilize the given services.

We evaluated other solutions, but there is separate body for tools and licensing who makes the final decisions.

What other advice do I have?

Always check for your requirements first, choose the tool wisely, and then try to learn the tool and technology beforehand.

Overall, IBM RTVS is a very good tool and it works very well on a Windows platform. Some of the feature would amaze you and you will love it!