IBM Rational Test Virtualization Server Review

How has it helped my organization?

The tool is helping us to build various virtual services for various middle layer components: MQ, REST, and SOAP services.

Using service virtualization, we are able to accelerate the testing and development activity.

Without SV, integration testing would not have been smooth and fast in the lower environment

What is most valuable?

As we have used most of the MQ stub, "MQ recording" is the most useful feature. Its flexibility to configure various MQ recording methods as per the implementation and "pass through" feature.

What needs improvement?

As per my working experience over the last three and half years with RIT/RTVS, I would consider the two following areas of improvement:

1. Reporting: In the recent release of RCPT, the "Usage graph" feature is included, but that still needs improvements in terms of UI and timeline filtering criteria.
  2. Implementing custom functions is a bit of a tedious job, as ECMAscript does not support some of the standard JavaScript functions. Also, the Script editor window is not user-friendly .

I have been using this tool for the last three and a half years for service virtualization.

The tool has very good stability. We are running approximately 200 odd services.

The tool has a good scale. Initially, we purchased the license tool for about 200 services, now we are running around 400 services without an issue.

Customer service is excellent. It has 24/7 customer support.

Technical support is excellent. It has 24/7 technical support. For any issue related to the tool, we log a PMR. The IBM team reviews the PMR and the issue turns into a defect, then typically within four to five days, they release hotfixes for the identified defect.

I have used many tools for service virtualization, like IBM RIT, CA LISA (now known as CA Service Virtualization DevTest Solution), and SoapUI.

Every tool has its own pros and cons. However, CA LISA/DevTest is the best.

I would suggest IBM RTVS, if cost factor is the priority.

To set up the service virtualization framework, it is straightforward.

For every process, IBM has very good knowledge documentation along with tech notes, which is really helpful.

We implemented the solution in-house. If we needed a hand with the installation or initial setup, the IBM team was very supportive.

We have improved productivity about 90%.

The product has a free trial available, which has saves on the initial investment costs.

We actually evaluated a couple of service virtualization options: CA LISA and IBM RTVS.

We did try RTVS as the organization had a tie-up with IBM, and other software too, hence commercially, it was benefits for us. Also, RTVS has a free one month trial, so we could experience the tool before we actually purchased the license. Also, IBM RTVS is far cheaper than CA LISA, which provides a similar SV solution.

What other advice do I have?

Certainly, I would recommend it. The reason being that it supports the major, latest transport and data protocols, plus it has rigorous infrastructure implementation.

2 visitors found this review helpful
1 Comment
IT Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employeesConsultant

Nice feedback! Very useful too :)

26 October 17