IBM Resource Access Control Facility Review

Access rights management is reliable. Generating on-screen listings and reports could be more flexible.

What is most valuable?

• Perfectly integrated with the z/OS operating system and all the other products in the IBM z/OS family.
  • Product updates are automatic and are released by IBM in conjunction with the z/OS upgrades.
  • The organizational process of the access rights management is very simple and reliable.
  • We can affirm that only authorized users gain access to protected resources.

How has it helped my organization?

It's very difficult for me to describe a concrete example. However, since we have been using RACF, our access permissions structure is much better organized and explained. We now have a one-to-one correspondence between a resource and access rights of that resource.

What needs improvement?

I would like the generation of RACF on-screen listings and reports to be more flexible. We security administrators often have to act quickly. Certain information should be available as quickly as possible.

I have been using it since May, 2015.

I would give technical support a rating of 4/5.

Before May 2015, my company was using CA Top Secret, the most relevant competitor to IBM RACF in the mainframe security administration.

CA Top Secret is also a good product, but my company has preferred IBM RACF for the valuable features.

In our case, the initial configuration was not easy because we performed a conversion from CA Top Secret to IBM RACF. But with our strong will, we have succeeded.