IBM Robotic Process Automation (RPA) Review

Enables us to leverage automation for customers such as BPOs, helping them shift left

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our customers who are looking to leverage automation or artificial intelligence. We mostly use the solution where there are a lot of people in backend operations, like BPOs. We try to leverage automation by moving work, shifting left.

How has it helped my organization?

This product definitely helps with cost optimization and brings a lot of optimization to repetitive processes. So if today people are doing something manually which is repeated multiple times, by leveraging this solution we are bringing efficiency in expediting the process and saving the organization costs. The ballpark reduction in operating costs is 20 to 30 percent. It could be much more as we mature in this particular area.

It definitely increases productivity where there is a lot of user intervention. Some of the cases we are trying to improve revolve around optimizing sales processes. Where customers are taking about three days to process an RFP, we are trying to get the response down to one day for all RFPs.

We also see indirect benefits on decision-making and we're looking to optimize that.

What is most valuable?

It's integrated with all the other products within the Salesforce ecosystem.

What needs improvement?

We are looking to see how it can connect with various interfaces seamlessly, through APIs.

It's pretty stable.

As for scalability, we are starting with a very small footprint. We will explore and see how it performs when it is scaled.

Technical support is pretty good. We were able to get the right support for the customers, as needed.

We were using Blue Prism. That is one of the competitors that we were evaluating.

The initial setup is straightforward. We have used various versions of automation solutions in the past, so we understand the whole setup process.

We are looking at a 20 to 30 percent ROI due to automation.

We are exploring multiple options. We have done a lot of proofs of value and, through that process, we are identifying the product that should be used in the future.

What other advice do I have?

We would definitely recommend the solution to colleagues and suggest that they evaluate it based on their needs. The biggest lesson we have learned in using this product is that leveraging automation has benefits for our customers in their daily processes and that it can be a stepping-stone in improving ROI for them.

In terms of usability, we are working with customers in the initial phases and the deployment is pretty good. But we need to look at the longer term for how it is being deployed in customers' businesses and we need to get their feedback. Some of our customers' business users use it and, in the initial phases, the usability looks good.

As for using it for compliance and/or governance issues, we haven't explored that part of it. It is more on the optimization, productivity, and cost-saving sides.

I would rate this solution at eight out of ten. We are still in the various stages of exploration of scalability and business-user response. We are still in the evaluation process. But it's pretty good, so that's why I am keeping it at eight.