IBM SAN Volume Control Review

An reliable solution with an outstanding virtualization layer

What is our primary use case?

We use SAN Volume Controller with our systems in the SAP HANA environment and for another cloud suite — VMware. We have replication between two data centers for synchronous replication.

What is most valuable?

The virtualization layer has been great. We have SAN Volume Controller, and below that, we can use any kind of storage. That's perfect for us because if we run out of storage, we can add more storage from any of our vendors.

IBM support can be very slow. Sometimes they take a lot of time to solve a problem; this is an issue with IBM. There are a lot of small companies here in Mexico that don't have many engineers, they can't afford to be waiting around for a response.

I think the licensing could be improved. With other solutions, you don't need a separate license for storage. With SAN Volume Controller, we need to license by terabyte. With our other products, we license by the box.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.