IBM Security zSecure Review

Provides administration of the RACF database. We can identify and remove old security database records.

What is most valuable?

• The zSecure Admin provides us with a much more user-friendly administration of the RACF database.
  • TopSecret and ACF2 are also supported (if they were ordered).
  • The Database Cleanup utility feature: Used for identifying and removing old security database records that are no longer relevant or being used.

How has it helped my organization?

• Simplifies browsing and working with the RACF database.
  • You no longer need to search for records. With the zSecure Admin, you can browse and change security records in the security database.
  • Lots of our customers have old security databases with lots of old/no longer needed security records. These can be identified and then deleted.
  • Helps in reducing the complexity of a security database and in strengthening overall security

What needs improvement?

The reporting feature needs to improve. It would be nice to have more control of the output formatting. Sometimes the customers want a specific layout of reports, which is not always possible.

I have been using this solution since 2008.

It is a pretty stable product.

There were no scalability issues.

Creating a standard IBM PMR is good enough, but it is not that great.

It was straightforward for the z/OS software installation.

You should only order the needed features.

What other advice do I have?

Install and use the RACF offline component in order to test bigger changes for the security database.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is an IBM business partner.