IBM SmartCloud Control Desk Review

Stable but clunky and lacks a user interface

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for ITSMs - for our ticketing, change management, and problem management.

What is most valuable?

The solution has been stable.

What needs improvement?

The solution lacks a graphical user interface. They should work to implement one in the future.

It's not very easy to make changes. They need to make it easier to adjust items as necessary.

The product is kind of clunky to use.

The scalability could be better. It's only scalable to a moderate extent. There are limitations on the capabilities.

I've been dealing with the solution for almost two years at this point. It hasn't been too long.

In general, it's been pretty stable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's pretty reliable overall in terms of performance.

The level of scalability is average. If a company needs to expand, it should be able to do so, at least to a certain extent.

There are certain things that I know we've got a team that can handle and I know that some things that we ask them to do, they simply can't do. It's a mixed bag.

We probably have a total of maybe 4,000 people that use it. Most of them are our end-users and they'll use it for ticketing. As far as actually using the features, we've got people that use it for our support, we use it for change management, and we've got problem management with it, as well as service requests.

I wouldn't be able to speak to the capabilities of technical support. I've never reached out to them in the past. I wouldn't be able to evaluate their level of responsiveness or knowledgeability.

If I ever have any questions, I can always direct them to our internal team as opposed to reaching out to IBM.

The company changed to IBM happened before I arrived. It is my understanding that the organizations previously used Remedy, and switched to Maximo for asset management for our facilities and maintenance group. They then moved to the IBM Control Desk piece of it.

The initial setup was handled before I arrived at the company. I can't speak to how easy or hard it was to actually implement the product.

We have about four or five people that handle various aspects of maintenance.

I don't have any insights on licensing. It's not part of the solution that I handle. I can't comment on the costs or how often we need to pay a licensing fee.

No. It was chosen because our Facilities / Maintenance department moved to Maximo for asset management.

What other advice do I have?

We're not on the latest release of the solution.

We're using just IBM Control Desk. I know that there's an upgraded IBM control desk for Maximo that we're going to look into, however, this is just for the IBM Control Desk itself.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a five out of ten.

7.6
Learn what your peers think about IBM SmartCloud Control Desk. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.