IBM Spectrum Accelerate Review

A robust solution with good performance and support

What is our primary use case?

Spectrum Accelerate is part of our storage solution in a virtualized environment. We are a VMware shop and everything is virtualized. We run vRealize and vSphere, and we have almost nothing that is physical. The majority of our applications are SaaS.

How has it helped my organization?

Spectrum Accelerate has helped us to unify our file and database storage. We have got services operating at the VM level such as backup, NAS backup, and SAN backup, and it helps with everything.

Implementing this solution has been a very good decision for our in-house data center.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the robustness, which is typical of IBM because their software generally just works.

The performance is good.

What needs improvement?

The interface is not user-friendly so the ease of use could be improved. There is a steep learning curve involved.

I would like to have better integration with solutions like Veeam so that I can have a cloud-based DR site.

The setup is complex and time-consuming.

We have been using Spectrum Accelerate for the past six years.

The stability is good. It's working and the performance is good.

This is a solution that scales well, although I think that we have stabilized in terms of use.

With respect to scalability, we have an open question as to whether we will be able to grow into a cloud-based deployment. We don't know in what ways this solution will assist us with the migration, or whether we can still use it for DR. We don't know about the type of backup, be it full, incremental, or otherwise. We are also looking for a cost-savings if we migrate. These are things that we will find out over time.

We have about two petabytes of data.

The support from IBM is pretty good. I would rate them an eight out of ten.

I have used similar solutions in the past.

Nothing is straightforward with IBM, including the initial setup. The product is not user-friendly, but rather, known for its robustness.

Our deployment happened over time. As our data center grew, this solution grew. It was append and replace. We expanded our system at the same time as we replaced old components.

We have a team of about fifteen people that I directly know of who work with and maintain this solution.

A consultant assisted us with implementation and deployment.

IBM licenses are quite expensive. If you are cost-sensitive then this solution is not for you.

What other advice do I have?

We are currently deployed on-premises, although we are starting a cloud migration strategy and hope to later have a cloud-based solution.

Overall, this is definitely a good product but you need to have deep pockets. The lack of user-friendliness and lengthy setup time are the two main disadvantages.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: