IBM Spectrum Computing Review

A scalable solution, but the daily administration is complex and it needs more reporting functionality

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of the solution is to create backups of critical applications and databases.

What needs improvement?

We'd like to see more powerful reporting features in future releases.

The solution could benefit from more optimal use of virtual tape libraries.

The day-to-day administration is quite difficult. It should be improved upon.

From our point of view, it would be very helpful to change the protocol for backup when using virtual tape libraries. The data boost protocol we use is EMC. It would be helpful to have the same database protocol on this solution as well.

I've been using the solution for ten years or more.

The solution is stable.

The scalability of the solution is good.

Technical support isn't too bad. We're using direct support from IBM, so it's good.

The initial setup is not so complex. However, the day-to-day administration is complex and there are far too many manual intervention requirements.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

My main advice to others considering implementing the solution is to use this product directly with IBM equipment like virtual tape libraries and IBM tapes. When we use this product together with hardware from other vendors, there are many, many issues.

I would rate the solution five out of ten.

More IBM Spectrum Computing reviews from users