IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Review

A scalable solution with a straightforward deployment

What is our primary use case?

We are deploying SP+ for validating our database related backup and strategy requiring a lot of updates when in pilot phase. Thus we can adapt the backup and recovery strategy accordingly and then push it in production for the release it has been tested.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives DBA full control over their backup and restore responsibilities. It ensure that we set correct RPO/RTO and that we are aligned to.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers a quick self-deployment. Using TDP for HANA is also very valuable. They have good integration. And if sizing requiring it, it is straightforward to offload data to spectrum protect server.

What needs improvement?

It's difficult to discuss improvements in Spectrum Protect Plus itself because it has been implemented in Spectrum Protect, and I'm using both.

It could possibly use more reporting features.

Their first level of support can be improved. Often they are too junior to understand the issues we are having, and it takes too much time to get from them to the next level of support, which is what we actually need.

I've been using the solution for 4 years.

The solution is very stable. With both SPP and SPP Plus, you have a very powerful environment.

The scalability is very good. There's no competition that's comparable.

Technical support isn't too bad. Of course, there's always room for improvement. We do have a lot more issues with first level support. As we're already advanced in using SPP, most of the time we need the second level or third level of support. So sometimes we struggle with first level support because they don't even understand the issues we have. They're too junior.

I didn't previously use a different solution.

The solution offers a very straightforward deployment. You click, click, click and it's done. There's not much configuration to do. It took about one hour to implement the solution.

sP+ worth the investment in regards of capabilities vs cost. With the cotrect understanding of the administrator, the possibilities given by this tool worth any penny invested.

What other advice do I have?

We mostly use the private cloud deployment model of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus.

I recommend the solution. You don't need to go to any other product. If you want to have a strong backup for recovery and traffic, you need this solution.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.