IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Review

A stable solution with good online support to protect client data

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to back up our client's nodes on a schedule. Our deployment is in an on-premises environment that includes an IBM server and the Lenovo TS3200 Tape Library.

What is most valuable?

This solution is very stable and has good support available online.

What needs improvement?

The virtual tape library needs to be improved.

We have trouble with the administration of this solution. We need to update the volumes in the tape, but it first has to be transferred from tape to disk. The administration needs to be improved and made simpler to use.

The time required for backup should be optimized.

The verification process needs to be performed daily, so this should be more automated.

The volume of the database grows every day.

In the next release of this solution, I would like support for replication between the primary and secondary data centers. The duplicate backup date should be automatically eliminated.

We have been using this solution for four years.

This solution is very stable.

We have two users for this solution. One is a backup administrator and the other is the operator.

We have not used technical support for this solution. When we receive an error code, we search online and find the answer immediately.

We have been using this solution since it was named the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (IBM TSM) and did not use another solution prior.

With my experience, I don't have a problem with the installation of this solution. However, it is very difficult to install, configure, and administer with the AIX system and virtual environments.

We pay a monthly licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

At this time, I do not recommend using this solution and suggest that people choose another one. It is difficult to install, configure, and administer.