IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Review

Good deduplication and replication features and you can scale upwards as much as you want

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case would be for all our VMs. We are currently using Spectrum Protect but we're actually planning on moving everything onto Spectrum Protect Plus.

What is most valuable?

The feature I find most valuable is the offload to Spectrum Protect for long-term retention. I think the deduplication and replication are quite nice on Plus.

What needs improvement?

The only thing that I would like to see improved is the actual schedule that you get on the policies. It does not allow for being flexible, like for weekly, just day one to five, and leave day six and seven. Especially if we're running multiple policies, like if we want to do a basic weekly incremental and then later do a monthly.

In the next release, I want to see updates on the scheduling so that we can have more options on how you schedule stuff, like allowing you to use your everyday requirement.

We've been using this solution for almost two months now.

So far it looks quite stable and I haven't had issues yet. It looks quite fine.

I think it is scalable because you can scale upwards as much as you want to provide for your infrastructure. We are currently running it on a POC basis, so we are probably still in a pilot phase. The workload is not heavy yet due to the infrastructure. We're actually working on procurement of storage and our usage will increase. I'm currently only running three VMs, which in fact is quite big. And our immediate goal is to move 100 large VMs across. From there, we'll continue growing. We have about 700 or 800 VMs in our environment.

We plan to upgrade to Spectrum Protect and for us it's moving forward. Firstly, backing up something on an archival level that is running on the same archival level is better. Secondly, the cost of Spectrum Protect Plus versus Spectrum Protect is much better, because I think you get around 10 VMs per terabyte licensing that you use. That will definitely be a huge gain for us.

The plugin on VMware of Spectrum Protect is totally different. So, with Spectrum Protect Plus you don't see the actual backup within the vCenter. The only thing that you see is that it creates a snap and then the backup runs totally outside of it.

The initial setup was quite straightforward and it was easy to actually set it up and start using it. The architecture is totally different from Spectrum Protect. I would like to see the commands and what's happening in the background, so it would nice to see a view of that.

The deployment was subject to the availability on the VMware side. We needed to go seek approvals and changes and things like that but the environment that I am currently using, I could deploy in a day.

Because we've got Spectrum Protect, we're going to use some of that licensing and convert it to Plus. One additional cost is obviously going to be the infrastructure that we need to buy for the solution.

What other advice do I have?

The sooner you can do it and get going, the better. I rate this solution an eight out of ten.