IBM Spectrum Protect Review

​Product offers extreme flexibility and scalability. Deployment issues are often caused by a lack of resources.

What is most valuable?

Incremental Forever backups, Enterprise management, Journal Based backups, policy based, copy storage pools, deduplication and node replication. Also the extreme flexibility and scalability the product offers – most of it done without interrupting production at all. The smallest entry level sized installation can easily grow to large enterprise usages and be migrated across platforms.The product is very client-oriented which supports a lot of different platforms and products, and only have to be upgraded approx. every five years to maintain support.

How has it helped my organization?

The incremental forever, TSM for Virtual Environments, deduplication and node replication, has opened up further advantages and solutions for users and customers.

What needs improvement?

There is always room for improvement. In the fast paced time we live in, unfortunately many products are released before they are complete and mature in every corner.

10 years.

Deployment is easy and simple when few rules are followed and respected. If there is difficulties, it is often caused by lack of resources like short of requirements, willingness or insight.

No, not really - as long as it is designed properly. TSM is very stable and is based on the DB2 database.

When there’s too many clients connecting at the same time, or the platform does not meet requirements.

It is easy to get support from IBM through phone or web-based support portal.

The technical support is great, and they know the product very well.

No, I did not. I have worked other places with other systems. They were all procedure oriented and still are, even though they might have improved since.

If you want a high performing flexible solution, you need some skills with the product. Name standards, design of database, policies and storage needs some decision making.

I guess I don’t qualify for this; we are consultants ourself and are experts. :)

No, none.

What other advice do I have?

Consult experts, listen and follow their advices and meet the requirements.

More IBM Spectrum Protect reviews from users
...who compared it with Veeam Backup & Replication
1 Comment

author avatarConsultant449

TSM is a great product. The challenge is, most users are using strategies based on popular backup solutions. Popular backup solutions does not blend well with TSM's strategy, incremental forever, ITIL based administration to name a few. Because of this, users can not comprehend TSM's operational strategy.