IBM Spectrum Protect Review

Easy to use once trained but I'd recommend an expert to install and configure.

What is most valuable?

The valuable features for me are Disaster Recovery Manager, Replication and and File Device Class for ease of recovery.

How has it helped my organization?

I’m a consultant. I provide installation and technical support and help to customers. TSM provides ease of use for customers to recover from any type of data disaster.

What needs improvement?

Once the product is installed and configured correctly, it’s easy to use. But for the average user, the product is extremely difficult when compared to other products.

15+ years

I’ve been doing this for 15 years. Deployment and installation for me is fairly easy.

Unless run on Windows or an undersized machine, the product is fairly stable.

This scales quite large.

Depends on the type of support the customer purchases. But overall IBM’s first line of support is pretty bad. Not very knowledgeable and take forever to return a call and ask for the same information over and over.

Poor at the first level.

No other products used.

The set up is complex unless you know the product.

It usually takes a week of consulting to implement. That can cost 10-15k plus the cost of the product.

No other options have been considered.

What other advice do I have?

Hire an expert to install and configure it and get some training to make it run.