IBM Spectrum Protect Review

It provides incremental-forever backup and disaster recovery management features.

What is most valuable?

• Incremental-forever backup: one-time full backup; then, incremental forever.
  • Data replication: removes the need for tape off-siting by replicating data from one management server to another (off-site). No need for storage replication as the replication is application-based.
  • Deduplication
  • Disaster recovery management: can provide assistance in managing DR media (tapes); also provides a DR plan based on current configuration.
  • Macros: can automate actions using scripts, native or via OS. Spectrum Protect can be configured/managed via the command line.
  • Library management: works very well with tape libraries.
  • Tape management: Tape management is excellent as well. It can create multiple copies in a single process (e.g., one primary tape, one copy tape at local site, one copy for vaulting). It can also recover damaged tapes.

How has it helped my organization?

• Less backup/archive media
  • RPO/RTO

What needs improvement?

The GUI needs improvement; it is not the best in the market.

The default GUI, Operations Center, does not provide much information to a
Spectrum Protect Administrator.

Such as:

• Volume (tape) errors
  • Volume content
  • DR Media Status
  • Volume operations - check-in, checkout, label

To name a few.

But all this information can be attained using SP's command line interface, query or select statements.

And hey, I didn't acquire this product to watch it all day. Configured properly, it can remove backup/archive operations from the admin's daily tasks. Not a big deal for me.

I have used it for 16 years.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is excellent.

I previously used CA Arcserve and Veritas NetBackup.

It was easy to set up.

Compare between capacity and PVUs.

Before choosing this product, I evaluated CA Arcserve, Veritas NetBackup, and HP Data Protector.

What other advice do I have?

Forget about traditional backup strategies; focus on recovery.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company has been an IBM business partner for 14 years.
2 visitors found this review helpful
1 Comment
author avatarTomas Dalebjörk
TOP 20LEADERBOARDReal User

Progressive block level incremental forever on databases.
Incremental restore