IBM Spectrum Protect Review

I would like to see it simplified. It does not have instant recovery or object level recovery.

How has it helped my organization?

I guess it keeps everything under one umbrella. So there are fewer products to deal with.

What is most valuable?

It covers all the different operating systems. If you need backup, it can pretty much do everything.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see it simplified. Depending on what client you're talking about, there are lots of different features. There's instant recovery that it doesn't have. For the database side, it does not have object level recovery. There are just a slew of things that are lacking feature-wise. But the biggest problem is the complexity.

The stability is lacking. From the client side, which is my focus, it's very complicated.

It doesn't have the features that a lot of other products have. It seems like they're always three to five years behind what other companies are doing.

It's very hard to use. It's not user-friendly. It's not designed with the administrator in mind.

I think from the server side, it scales very well. The client side is much more difficult to deal with. It's a lot of hands-on work with the client.

I have used tech support, and I would rather chew off my left arm than have to deal with tech support.

I was involved in the installation and it was complex in every aspect.

We are actually looking for different solutions right now.

What other advice do I have?

I would do a lot of research on all the vendors before I made a decision. It's expensive, it's hard to use, and takes a long time.

The most important criteria when looking for a product is simplicity. We have a set of criteria for every client in terms of what it has to do. Being the backup window, the recovery is the most important thing. So make sure it can do the recovery the way you want it done, i.e., fast.

2 Comments
author avatarAlex Patnick
TOP 20Consultant

Hi SystemEnb695,

I'm a Community Manager, and I want to thank you for your contribution. I am wondering if you would be able to explain for other users, what you mean by "the biggest problem is the complexity." and if you think this is something that IBM can easily resolve?

All the best,

Alex

author avatarTomas Dalebjörk
TOP 20Real User

You have instant recovery on vm protection