IBM Spectrum Protect Review

The most valuable features are the diversity and flexibility of the application.

What is most valuable?

The diversity and flexibility of the application. No matter what the problem is, I can solve the problem any number of ways based on the customers’ requirements.

How has it helped my organization?

It scales.

What needs improvement?

In terms of room for improvement, I would like to see better interfaces.

I'm not allowed to talk about features I want to see in the future. I have an NDA with them. The things that I've asked for are already on record.

It's one of the most stable backup applications I've ever used.

They continue to make enhancements that allow it to scale even larger and higher. They also added additional capabilities to the software that allow it to grow within the industry.

We have used technical support and they are excellent.

We used NetWorker.

I was involved in the installation. I've set it up hundreds of times. It is a complex setup. You have to do your planning for your environment. Once you have the plan, the setup is easy. But the planning is the hardest piece.

We looked at NetBackup, Backup Exec, and there were a couple of other ones that we looked at.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to hire me and I’ll install it for you. We knew it was time to invest in a new solution because backups are crucial for our environment.

When looking for a vendor, we look for service, scalability, and stability.

1 Comment
Julia FrohweinCommunity Mgr

Can you elaborate on why you ended up going with IBM Spectrum Protect over NetBackup and Backup Exec?

29 May 17