IBM Spectrum Protect Review

The most valuable features are compression and deduplication.

How has it helped my organization?

Besides the compression, the new feature of data replication has helped us. Based on the feature, we were able to decommission our tape media infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Spectrum Protect would be the compression and the deduplication.

What needs improvement?

I am looking forward to new features in the next release.

One of the main features is the cloud storage integration, which was one of my main required features. I've had more difficult experiences with other platforms than with this one.

It's a very stable application. It was challenging at the beginning of the implementation of the replication and deduplication, but once it was completely deployed, it has been very stable.

The scalability has been great. We were able to introduce and scale from the storage pools, as well as from all the backup infrastructures.

I have used technical support. I've been fully engaged with IBM support and they've been very, very helpful.

I've been using the same product for the last 15 years. I know it's been very reliable, so I've stayed with it.

The setup was challenging in certain areas. For the most part, based on the experience I had, I was able to accomplish it OK.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend the proof of concept which is one thing that IBM provides with their lab services and other types of support. Especially with the new features and the cloud integration, that will be a great opportunity to introduce the new platform.

The most important criteria is scalability and support. Support to me is key, since at the end of the day, we're providing service to the company. So far, the experience has been very good.

I have been working with it for a few years now and I've touched other types of data protection platforms. So far, Spectrum Protector has been the best.

1 Comment
Charlita DalebjörkReal User

True.
IBM's philosophy are to backup only changed content (why backing up data again if it has not changed?)
You can do progressive block level incremental forever on databases also now using ("LIGTAS") DB Protection https://www.ligtas.org
A solution that uses Spectrum Protect API.
Progressive block level incremental forever on databases

03 November 17