IBM Spectrum Protect Review

Deduplication and compression are the most valuable features.

What is most valuable?

The deduplication and compression are the most valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

We can get lots of storage space. Storage is a big problem. Deduplication gives me a lot more flexibility so I can do more backup in the same storage space.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see:

• More flexibility
  • More features
  • More scalability. I would like it to work with different storage solutions.
  • There's a limitation with the cloud container. That is a limitation in terms of what it can do with the cloud.
  • I would like them to increase functionality in cloud containers.
  • Easier to learn: It's too complex. It takes long time to learn.

I would like more feature on Inline dedupelication.

1. Move data from one container pool to another container pool
2. Move cloud storage container to another cloud storage container
3. Currently, Inline deduplication you can copy to tape but cannot restore any data. I know it is in road map to restore from tape
4. If the Inline deduplication has a issue, You need to restore whole container pool before repair command is issue.
5. If your container pool is very large means few 30 to 40 TB. It can days to restore container pool. If you like to restore to another location, You need lots of space. That can be issue.

Stability is 50/50. They come out with fixes, but then they break some other stuff. I am constantly fighting with them to fix some new stuff. As they put out the new patches, they break something else. It's very complicated product, so they can't cover every possible scenario.

The scalability is extremely good.

I use technical support all the time. I would evaluate them depending upon who is helping me and what kind of problem is being dealt with. Sometimes it's frustrating, because I want to go to Level-2 support. Sometimes they take too long to go to Level-2. It then took them too long before they called me back. They have to improve the process to call back right away.

We knew it was time for a new solution because we were using Backup Exec before and it was not meant to be an enterprise backup solution. We were looking for some kind of enterprise backup system, and we had too many backup solutions.

We had one for ERX, one for Linux, and one for NetWare. We used NetWare and Windows, so we had to consolidate all the backup solutions into one backup solution.

We found that TSM was the best, as we can back up any OS.

I was involved in the initial setup. It was straightforward.

NetBackup was on my shortlist. Back then, they were not running on Windows and they ran on Unix. I was not a Unix guy for too long, and I wanted to feel comfortable with the OS. I came from a mainframe background. It's more flexible, and it can back up a cross-platform backup to any platform. That's a good feature, and they have it. You don't need a different backup solution and a different OS for each platform.

What other advice do I have?

It depends upon the company and what they're looking for. It's an expensive product, but it works really well. You can install it on any platform. It's not a perfect product. There's always bug and there's always something going on.

When selecting a vendor, we look for support, how long they have been in business, and how often they do product upgrades.

1 Comment
author avatarCharlita Dalebjörk

Given the facts that progressive incremental forever is the most space efficient techniques compared to performing periodically full backups.
IBM's philosophy are "why backing up same content if it has not changed?".
You can do the same on databases too now with ("LIGTAS"), https://www.ligtas.org
Progressive block level incremental forever on databases.
This in combination with deduplication and compression reduces the data more.
And if you have worries about restore and recovery time; than you can perform incremental restore (restore only the data in the databases that has been changed to any point in time)