IBM Spectrum Protect Review

With newly added features, it has made a difference as far as faster recovery and speed

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our backup and recovery services.

Our environment is on-premise. We also do tape. However, we do not have any cloud infrastructure at this point. We have a cloud strategy in the works.

We have six Spectrum Protect instances: Three of them are disaster recovery (DR) and three of them are in production. We have grown out the three in production and are looking to add two more in the future. Spectrum Protect should have no issues accommodating this growth.

How has it helped my organization?

With the new features that we have added, it has made a difference as far as faster recovery and speed.

What is most valuable?

• The server application - the features in it.
  • The replication part of it.
  • The dedupe piece of it, which is a huge help, especially in our environment.

What needs improvement?

I would like a little more ease with the virtual platforms, because it is a huge thing that is coming up. We have a huge virtual environment, but it seems like it is convoluted as far as the process of planning it, then integrating Spectrum Protect. There are a lot of moving pieces, so I am looking forward to Spectrum Protect Plus. There seems to be less moving parts to it, so hopefully it will be quicker.

More than five years.

It is a very solid product.

The scalability is solid, provided we setup the infrastructure as needed.

If I have an issue, I will call support. I am not really impressed with the Level 1 support, but once I get past that and go to Level 2, then we will usually get some type of resolution.

We do have really good support through our IBM rep, who will jump on it as soon as something is out there.

I was not part of the initial setup.

I have seen a lot of other backup products out there, and they are good. However, Spectrum Protect seems to encompass a broad range of things, and you can pretty much put it anywhere. You can tie it into your backup network or backup needs.