IBM Spectrum Protect Review

It protects data with very little storage by doing incremental forever

What is our primary use case?

Spectrum Protect is a primary backup product that is used for physical and virtual servers in the open systems world.

One of our customers is using a cloud strategy, but it is on-prem cloud. So, it is cloud object storage.

Some of our customers are going to VTL (IBM and non-IBM). I have one customer who will be going to a Spectrum Scale environment for their backup. The Spectrum Scale environment is doing spinning disk, and they migrated off of a VTL product onto it. These are major two infrastructure environments that I have seen.

How has it helped my organization?

Most of my clients have been running Spectrum Protect for a long time, so they have been running it for years. If they have migrated off of it, they migrated off of it because of its lack of virtual environment functions.

What is most valuable?

• The speed of backup
  • The amount of data that it protects with very little storage by doing incremental forever.

Its availability has been excellent.

Scalability is pretty much unlimited.

One client with a distributing environment has 130 to 140 instances. Another client has probably somewhere between 10 to 15.

I have not personally used technical support. The feedback from my clients has been pretty positive.

I do have one customer who does not tend to stay current, and that causes issues. Anytime you are not very current and call in with an issue, it is hard to get it resolved. It will depend on how far back you go though.

I was involved in a migration setup. When one of our customers was moving from a VTL to Spectrum scale for their target storage, we had to go through some migrations because we switched from VTL doing the replication to using Spectrum Protect for node replication, using compression, etc. It was pretty straightforward.

More IBM Spectrum Protect reviews from users