IBM Spectrum Scale Review

We use it for its great servicing high availability

What is our primary use case?

It performs well. We use it for our data over multiple systems. At the same time, it is a shared file system. It works pretty well for the most part.

We have an on-premise infrastructure. It is basically shared disks. They run three of them through the network. So, we set up NSD disks on all the machines. All the nodes can write to them, and we can have as many nodes as we want to put into the environment. That part works well.

We have approximately 500 instances.

How has it helped my organization?

We need the CPU power to do all of our work. You can't do it on just one node. You need multiple nodes. That is what makes it beneficial. It provides more power. We have thousands of users. They need bandwidth to be able to do everything. If they do not have it, they can't run.

What is most valuable?

Its great servicing high availability. That is what it is used for.

What needs improvement?

The main issue that we have now is with the encryption. They want to use more metrics in encryption, which is not working very well. Thus, we need to decide whether we need to actually use an IBM solution. However, that decision is way above my level.

Most of the time, the stability is pretty good. Recently, we have been upgrading. This is probably the biggest challenge, getting everything upgraded, because it just takes time. We wish it was a faster solution to be able to do everything at once, but you have do each node individually. The more nodes, the longer it takes.

Scalability is pretty good. We have got a 32 node cluster. So, it runs pretty high.

We do not feel as a company that the product can grow with us anymore, so we are not going to use it anymore. We are done. The decision was made. What we have, we will keep, but we are not going to put anything new in.

I usually do not deal with them. The Level 2 personnel talk with them. We have our contract with IBM, so we call them all the time for user problems. They usually are effective.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

What other advice do I have?

The product is good. There are other products out there. You should look to see what you really need.

Main criteria for selecting a vendor: The bandwidth. It has the data available to do a lot of nodes at the same time. This product was available at the time.