IBM Spectrum Scale Review

Allows us to share files across multiple environments

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for our SAS work and data areas. It is performing very well for us.

We have data centers onsite and offsite (for whenever we do DR failover). Right now, we manage just one instance of it.

How has it helped my organization?

• Keeps the SAS people happy.
  • Keeps SAS running.
  • Allows us to share files across multiple environments: Unix and Windows.
  • Managing the environments outside of the high availability cluster has been huge. This pulls one more factor out of the clusters that we do not have to manage.

What is most valuable?

It has less overhead. We do a lot of training on our SAS environment.

We had JFS2 file systems, and we made things so fast that JFS2 could not keep up with it. It took us down to a crawl. Spectrum Scale reduced the overhead and allowed SAS to perform.

What needs improvement?

It does everything we need it to do.

Though, making it a little easier to add bad file sets would help. There is a transition to how you add storage and how you add a file set, so making that a little smoother would probably be my recommendation.

It is incredibly stable. This is not the first place that I have used it. I have used it on a 16 node SAS cluster before. I never had any problems with it.

It is incredibly scalable. You can add more storage to it, add more file sets, and add it to more servers. It is a robust product.

The product should be able to expand with us.

We have not used technical support that much for Spectrum Scale. However, we did have one crash and they helped us quickly apply a patch.

We were previously using the JFS2. We switched because it was the recommended solution to our SAS problems, and it worked.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. You had to learn a little bit of new nomenclatures, and what this is called and what that is called. Otherwise, once we got it up and running, it needs very little care.

No other solutions were evaluated. Spectrum Scale fixed the problem and we were good with that.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Spectrum Scale.