IBM Spectrum Virtualize Review

We are happy with the support that IBM provides us

What is our primary use case?

We use it to virtualize some different storage units. It can virtualize and provide some good migration and disaster recovery options.

Our infrastructure is on-premise. We have two POWER8 systems. For the storage, we have FlashSystem 900s, FlashSystem 820s, and Flash V7000s behind the SVCs.

How has it helped my organization?

We can failover easily, because a lot of our data is replicated from family to the second replication.

What is most valuable?

• The replication
  • The flash copies

What needs improvement?

We would like the CPU cycle to save more on the licensing costs for us. Also, anything which improves performance and the ability of our systems would be a nice.

It is pretty stable. We have not had that much downtime.

It is pretty scalable, as far as the storage which can be added using any additional storage units. We can get two individual storage units or we can add trays to the V7000s, since migrating from one storage unit to another is pretty easy.

We do use them when there are issues, when we do upgrade, migrate, and work with business partners. We are happy with the support that IBM provides us.

On some of the POWER8 systems, I was involved with the migration.

We worked with business partners, and more recently, with IBM Labs for migration. We have been happy with them.

In general, the migration is complicated. Though, it is case-by-case.

We did not evaluate any other competitors.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

Main criteria when selecting a vendor: Upgrading our systems and migrating to newer storage products, as we are always on a time crunch.