IBM SPSS Modeler Review

The stability is good though there have been occasional crashes

What is our primary use case?

I used it mostly for the PCA, the principal component analysis, and I have been using that for my bachelor's thesis. It performed pretty well for my task, for the goal of my task.

What is most valuable?

I think it is the point and drag features that are the most valuable. You can simply click at the windows, and then pull up the functions. What you need is then directly over there, and then you can select the parameters over the windows. Then just click and the results show up.

What needs improvement?

If IBM could add some of the popular models into the SPSS for further analysis, like popular regression models, I think that would be a helpful improvement.

I would also like have more options to manipulate the interface of the report, as well as to be able to customize it and make it more personalized. Right now, SPSS doesn't give me that ability to do that.

Six months.

The stability is good. There have been the occasional crashes, when the data goes all over or I have really messed up with the process and it just crashes.

The scalability is okay but has some limitations.

No, I wasn't using a different solution beforehand. Though it has become the number one option. Before that it was always Excel and Main Tab, but if you want to get a deep statistical report, I would go to SPSS.

The setup was straightforward.

If you are in a university and the license is free then you can use the tool without any charges, which is good.

I don't think my university looked into any other vendors. We are providing licenses to students and faculty members.

What other advice do I have?

If I had a colleague that was looking for a status analyzer I would recommend that they get started with SPSS. And if they want to go further I would suggest another option like SAS. Because, once again, you'll have more power to develop the algorithms, to improve the algorithms.