IBM SPSS Modeler Review

I really like the functionality that includes R and Python nodes

What is our primary use case?

I use it for quick prototyping. I get my students to use it every now and then but we don't actually use it in a class, or there would be more users.

The performance is fantastic. Version 15 used to have some bugs but the newest version, version 18, is a lot better. I really like the functionality that includes R and Python nodes. SPSS should have added that years ago.

What is most valuable?

What I like is that when you are trying to use a particular algorithm, it actually has the algorithm name. For example, there is actually a node for a C5 decision tree,  whereas with other software you get a generic decision tree and you don't know if you are doing C5 or some other kind of decision tree. I do like that, how the nodes are actually named what the algorithm is.

How has it helped my organization?

It is just a lot faster. So you do not have to write a bunch of code, you can throw that stuff on there pretty quickly and do prototyping quickly.

What needs improvement?

I am really happy with it right now, which is why I still use it. I think it is just fine the way that it is, but again, I'm not really using it to deploy real solutions. It is just for prototyping and academic kind of stuff.

When I used it in the office, back in the day, we did have some stability issues. Sometimes it just randomly crashed and we couldn't get good feedback. But when I use it for my own stuff now I don't have any problems.

It's the same situation as the stability.

I do not have issues now but I used to use technical support when I worked at an office. They would always tell us, "We're looking into it," but we never really got any good feedback. But they did the best they could. It's software, it has bugs sometimes.

I was not involved in the initial setup but the upgrades are straightforward. They do not give me any problems.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend that other people try it. I still use it because when I got the latest version it had all those things that I wish I would've had when I was working at the office.