IBM SPSS Modeler Review

It will scale up to anything we need

What is our primary use case?

Pricing data analytics.

We are putting seven machine learning models in production to start. We may expand up to 10. This is real-time as we are pulling data out of Cognos BI server every morning. We manipulate and reload the data throughout the day based on parameters that come in from the field, then that gets put back into the system and refreshed for the next day.

We have a private cloud, which is our corporate cloud. Everything is done off of a shared server.

To date, working with IBM SPSS Modeler has been very good, our installers and trainers have been excellent. The product seems to be quite robust and doing what we need.

How has it helped my organization?

This is a new installation for us. We have not implemented it fully. It is going live now. Therefore, the impacts have yet to be determined. We are anticipating a more streamlined process.

What is most valuable?

It handles large data better than the previous system that we were using, which was basically Excel and Access. We serve upwards of 300,000 parts over a 150 regions and we need to crunch a lot of numbers.

What needs improvement?

The speed of the system could be improved, but I think that will be fixed once we get our data in line.

I do not what additional features that I would like to see in the next release as I am still learning the features in this release!

Still implementing.

So far, the stability has been rock solid. It is very good, but slow. The slowness may be because we have not finalized all the background information in SPSS. It still needs some tweaking.

It will scale up to anything we need.

We have not used the technical support yet.

Previously, we were using an ad hoc system that we developed in-house. It was based on Access databases spitting data back into Excel.

It is a very complex system, and we are dealing with a lot of different features, but the installation did a very good job of walking us through it. They made it as painless as possible.

We were looking for an ERP system that would help us streamline the whole process. My director reviewed four or five different scenarios and decided on IBM.

We did look at other vendors, but I cannot name them as I was not part of the selection process.

What other advice do I have?

SPSS and TM1 are so versatile that it depends on how you set it up within your company and with whomever guides them through it, because it is so customizable. You need a good guide and what you want out of it, as it is very transparent.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: ease of use. They should be able to handle our unique situation. We have many branches with many moving parts, and also a lot of internal customers.