IBM SPSS Modeler Review

The visual modeling capability is one of its attractive features

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is analytics.

We are putting less than 10 machine learning models into production, and do not currently run our models on a cloud environment.

How has it helped my organization?

It minimizes coding.

Our go live process has been slightly enhanced compared to the previous programmatic process. There is now a faster time to production from the business end. We have C&DS, so we are able to drop the model streams in C&DS, then deploy it through there.

What is most valuable?

The visual modeling capability is one of its attractive features.

What needs improvement?

The biggest issue with the visual modeling capability is that we can't extract the SQL code under the hood. We have a lot of non-technical analysts that develop streams, then when we want to translate it to native SQL, we can't extract it without opening up each node.

We would like to see better visualizations and easier integration with Cognos Analytics for reporting.

Three to five years.

It is not consistently stable. I hope they plan on improving it. C&DS is not stable at all.

SPSS Modeler should meet our needs going forward. It is very scalable for non-technical people. The challenge for the very technical data scientists: It is constraining for them.

C&DS will not meet our scalability needs.

I would not rate the technical support very well. The technicians have accents. When you do find someone, it is very hard to get somebody able to answer the technical questions.

It is very easy to set up. Once we deployed it and got the license code registered, it was fine.

We looked into SnapLogic, SaaS, and open source. We chose SPSS Modeler because of the drag and drop capabilities and most of our business analysts are non-technical, so this was attractive to them.