IBM SPSS Statistics Review

Has good linear regression analysis features and is easily scalable

What is our primary use case?

I'm a senior statistical consultant. We mainly use IBM SPSS to find data and organize it. We have about 10 people in our company that use the product for analysis. The work is seasonal, sometimes we use the product daily and during other periods maybe weekly, monthly or quarterly. It really depends on when the work comes in. Our company uses many different types of software and it's really dependent on the individual situation and requirements of the company.

What is most valuable?

Most of the product features are good but I particularly like the linear regression analysis. I also benefit from the import and export of data abilities.

What needs improvement?

I believe the product could be improved. I think there is an issue with the charting and visualization, and I don't think it works as well as the competitive product. There is a lot of competition with other software, and I think the visualization and charting should be changed and made easier and more effective. They should also try to include better concepts for big data. I don't know if this can be matched or integrated with the flexibility of Python, because now Python is free. When I try to use another software such as JMP software, JMP makes managing, manipulating and changing the perspectives or the analysis points easier. When you compare or make any statistical search for two variables or more, one by one, X and Y and so on, you refer the variables to the original situation and change it. In JMP, you can just drag and drop and switch columns, rows to columns, and vice versa. It's really easy to use.

I think the product license is expensive for some people who would be interested in using it, but there is a cheaper version for searches. I think reducing the cost or making a cheaper version for companies should not be a problem.

In terms of additional features, I think some enhancement on the panel or the main menu would be helpful. Another thing I would hope to be able to do would be to facilitate the results for the user in one main window. There is a window for data and another window for output. I think maybe there could be an enhancement to make SPSS easier to manage and easier to move between data.

I've been using IBM SPSS Statistics for a long time, about 10 years.

The product is very stable, no problems at all.

The product is easily scalable.

I haven't had much need to contact technical support, only when they upgrade or update my version and something is required to activate it, but not for technical issues. I haven't needed them for that.

The setup of the product was very simple. It doesn't take more than about 30 minutes.

I can implement the product myself, particularly if it's for an individual. But for a company or in the corporate sector, that's another issue. I would need a team or an IT consultant.

The price of the basic product is okay but if I need to take the advanced model then there is a cost for the different levels. For questionnaire purposes, for example, there is very limited use. You pay to install plugins or add-ons to that. There is another feature for that, I believe, that costs around $1,000, but for an advanced model and a lot of extra tools, you might reach around $6,000-7,000.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

More IBM SPSS Statistics reviews from users