IBM Sterling File Gateway Review

The industry leader in secure file transfer, broadly adopted for its excellent capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We exchange many files with our partners. So our primary use case for this product is for our partners to securely send us files for processing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is really the same as our main use case: secure file transfer. I would need to consult with my operation team for any other valuable features.

What needs improvement?

I think it would be good if IBM continues to focus on the primary use of Sterling File Gateway which is file transfer. They can continue to expand those capabilities. We can already get the files securely and we can work with the partner on some of the schedule. But the solution might also cover working with different aspects of the workflow. We have quite a big spectrum of customers in our portfolio, and having more options could help us to better work with them. The workflow capabilities are some of the key features as to why I believe IBM Sterling has been picked as a solution for this type of product in the past.

I have been exploring whether we can expand API capabilities. I am studying what they have to offer now, but I would like it if the solution could offer even more support of API usage. It would be good to be able to make API calls yourself to do more with integration. With a more open API trend, we could place more focus on this area. That would be something I would really be looking for in future releases.

The version that we are using will be going through some changes in support from IBM. I want to start the long term roadmap to look at how that affects our usage.

I just joined the company, but I think they have been using the product for more than 10 years. I have been using it personally for more than five years.

IBM Sterling is quite scalable per my experience. We cover the whole sector of a broad industry and that is a lot of users. I think it is hard to say exactly how many end-users there are. But entity-wise, we are working with more than 200 companies through our instance.

I have had the opportunity to contact technical support and I think that the technical team is okay. We just want to be sure that the product will be good for our long term roadmap.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this solution as a ten-out-of-ten. In the past, it seems the whole industry adopted this solution because it was the leader in the field. Whether their whole architecture will be adaptable enough for the cloud is something that needs to be studied further.

More IBM Sterling File Gateway reviews from users