IBM Sterling File Gateway Review

Adaptive, flexible solution that is fairly stable but the auto-deployment has service disruptions

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for file management within our organization, and in different outlets as well.

What is most valuable?

It's highly configurable and there is no need for standalone scripting. It's adaptive, functional, and it's quick and easy to set up interfaces. It's similar to the Oracle product switch and Fusion Huawei.

What needs improvement?

The areas that need improvement are user management, user interface, and the segregation of users. These are the areas that I am battling with at the moment. It's not geared towards your user community. If you're an administrator of the system, it's fairly easy, but then to segregate the configuration and give the availability to it, it's a bit of a nightmare.

In the next release, I would like to see upgraded user segregation, user management, and looking into auto-deploys. Once you need to deploy a new bundle of software, you need some service downtime. I would like to see auto-deployment without service disruptions. That is what this industry is always looking at.

When you deploy something, you want your service to always be on, and with this solution that is not the case.

I have been using this solution for ten years.

It's fairly stable.

Over the years, we have only encountered one or two bugs, which were introduced through new software releases.

This solution is scalable, but there are always licensing cost implications.

You can scale it, but it depends on how you scale it. If you scale it horizontally, there will be license implications.

It's an enterprise solution and we have just under 2,800 interfaces on the system. Every interface would count as a user.

The initial setup is straightforward. It takes approximately three months to deploy.

Within our company, we have a team of four, plus two integrators to deploy this solution.

To maintain this solution we have our team of four.

We used an integrator to deploy this solution.

It is now something that is an off-the-shelf solution. It's not something that we custom develop. When it comes to a roll-out, it's fairly easy.

It's reasonably priced at $800,000. That's the annual maintenance cost.

You have to pay to expand your additional platform.

What other advice do I have?

The only limitation of this solution is that you have to pay to expand it, other than that it's stable and flexible.

Plan your upgrades very carefully, and go through the documentation.

It's a fairly stable product, but there are always other products on the market.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.