IBM StoredIQ Review

Helps with GDPR compliance through data discovery and management

What is our primary use case?

Because of the GDPR regulation, many companies have the need to find a solution on how to be compliant, specifically when they have a lot of unstructured data. IBM® StoredIQ Suite helps to address problems like data discovery, records management, compliance activities, storage optimization, and data migration initiatives.

How has it helped my organization?

IBM StoredIQ helped us and our customers to scan most of our data sources (not the database) to find personal data so we have now an understanding of where they are and how to manage them. We can now adhere to the GDPR policy requirements. We also had other unexpected but very useful info, for instance, on when data were last used.

What is most valuable?

We knew that we have a lot of scanned docs inside our repositories, but there was a big issue where we needed to know which content was really an image. Because of the OCR made at runtime during the scan, now we know exactly the data we have.

When you have zipped documents the scan will unzip them and find the data inside.

What needs improvement?

The product was born and designed to be used inside the IT department, but it would be improved by allowing end-users to search for info related to specific needs. This could enlarge product usage within a company. A more friendly search interface will ease the dataset search.

I have been using this solution for more than four years.

The product is very scalable, for an initial setup you can stay with the 3 VM. But soon you will need to increase the resource need by those VM, and in case install more VM as needed.

In terms of ROI a company will, in a short time, recover from the initial investment. This because of the product, other than allowing a company to be GDPR compliant, will give a lot of information on how the storage is used and this will guide the IT to better usage of this resource.

The IBM StoredIQ comes as minimum as 3 VM VMware. This means that in order to use this product a company need to have a VMware infrastructure on-premise were to run it. The licensing model is TB based. You will pay for TB of data to be "scanned". But also on the type of result needed, It comes with 5 capabilities the bundle most complete is the StiredIQ Suite. Going down to lowest functionality, the entry-level, used only if you need a simple assessment with the StoredIQ Data Assessment.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We have been an IBM Business Partner.