IBM Storwize Review

We have not seen many drive failures. It should have built-in reporting to understand the health of the array.

What is most valuable?

The hardware is the best feature of the product. We have not seen many drive failures. The V9000 all-flash is constructed well.

How has it helped my organization?

It has not made us more efficient from a deployment standpoint. That is why we have been migrating to a hyper-converged solution.

What needs improvement?

• The overall code.
  • The ability to have built-in reporting to understand the health of the array.
  • Stability within the code.
  • Clear upgrade paths for the code.
  • Support is horrible. It takes weeks to get simple answers. We had a LUN down and support refused to get on a WebEx without the array being completely down.

We have had the system for over two years.

We currently have about 1PB worth of storage that spans IBM Storwize V5000, V7000, and V9000. This is across two datacenters.

We had stability issues as stated elsewhere.

The V9000 can only hold two shelves of flash, at which point you need new controllers.

Technical support is the worst in the industry, as mentioned elsewhere.

We previously used EMC. We switched based on cost.

Setup is not difficult.

Not worth the money.

EMC was evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

There are far better products with better support for less cost.

The hardware itself is good, but the code that runs on it is not good at all. We have LUNs that will just go offline, and support has no clear answer. Each result is a code upgrade that does not resolve the problem. There is no built-in historical reporting. That is a costly add-on for an already overpriced system.