IBM Storwize Review

We migrated from EMC storage and it was virtualized.

What is most valuable?

It was quite easy to migrate from EMC storage because everything is virtualized. Easy Tier is quite nice to use.

How has it helped my organization?

We're a public sector organization. One of the benefits was that it was the lowest bid for us. It basically came down to cost.

What needs improvement?

I had wish lists, but I found out that they have already been completed.

At our current code level, when I extend any volume that is using Metro Mirror, I have to remove the Metro Mirror relationship. Once the Metro Mirror relationship is removed, I can extend the volumes and I have to re-create the Metro Mirror relationship and sync the entire volume.

For example, if I have a 1TB volume and I want to extend to 1.5TB instead of 0.5TB being replicated using Metro Mirror, 1.5TB has to be replicated.

The next version will include an update for this problem.

Stability has been good. We haven't had any issues, besides those that were our own fault when we pushed the work loads too high.

Scalability is quite easy. We've been expanding pretty much every year.

We have always used support. We have a main contact person, and he's a really good technical resource.

We don't really have a choice of vendors because we are public sector. To me, it's history. Our trusted partner is Horizon, and they're great people to work with. When I work with someone else, I'm not sure if they can deliver what I want. But Horizon goes the whole nine yards.

I was not initially involved in the setup. I was tasked with other projects at the time.

What other advice do I have?

If cost is not a factor, I would definitely say IBM is good. Their business partners are good. For instance, they will try to get you vouchers to get training. With EMC, we never really got any training. It was all a cost for us in the public sector. We have to evaluate what training we can take, because I have a jack-of-all-trades type of role.