IBM Storwize Review

Provides virtual capabilities and enables us to move data between tiers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the virtual capabilities that you get from the system and being able to move your data between tiers. We use that feature and we also optimize that with the SAN.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped improve our organizational functionality with the ease of replacement of hardware. We use it a lot for that, for swapping in and out of old hardware to new hardware.

What needs improvement?

I can't really think of any specific improvements which I would like to see.

Stability has been great. Every time that we had a failed drive or a failed piece of hardware, it's been no problem. The systems have stayed up, with no problems at all.

We haven't scaled it to the maximum. It does scale quite a bit more than we've actually ever used it.

Technical support has been great. As far as responding, we usually get a resolution, or we have somebody calling us from higher up in the chain.

We're an IBM shop, so we've always been on some kind of IBM platform.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's pretty simple.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell them, "The ease of use of the system. If you have a small storage team, then this is the platform for you. It's really easy to manage, really easy to use, and it doesn't take a lot of training." The biggest key to deciding on the product is the support and replacement capabilities.