IBM Storwize Review

Back end command line interface is very comfortable for scripting, though needs improvement in number of disk shelves

What is most valuable?

In the Unified model it supports SAN and NAS solutions very smoothly. Also, there is a back end command line interface which is very comfortable for scripting, especially for snapshot and business copy solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

V7K has better I/O performance than some other storage, such as HPE XP12K, HPE EVA (4K and 8K) and IBM DS (3K and 4K). Because of this, I have seen improvements in long-term business operations (like billing run in a telecom company and end-of-month operations in a financial institution).

What needs improvement?

It should increase sociability with respect to number of disk shelves and capacity.

Overall, five years.

Eight out of 10.

Switched to decommission older hardware (XP12K and EVA from HPE).

Very simple setup, especially for FC SAN network.

I cannot comment on this as I used it as an IBMer.

I compared the product with IBM DS8K. Due to a huge gap in price, and not having very high-level needs, I selected V7000.

What other advice do I have?

This is highly reliable storage. Other than not having very high IOPS requirements, RAID5 would be good enough for application and database LUN. But before creating the RAID group/array, the implementer should have proper projections.