IBM Storwize Review

Versatile, reliable, performs well and makes admin simple

What is most valuable?

I think the v7000 is versatile, reliable, and gives really good performance in the configuration you choose. The V7000 can be configured in different ways. It has proved to me that it is reliable, that the disks do not constantly break down, and that any administration work is simple. It also has a very complete assistant that helps you to solve the problems that arise.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has improved the speed of disk access where I have mounted, but I do not think that is its best feature since others give you the same performance. As I said for me what recommends this product is its reliability and the peace of mind it brings.

What needs improvement?

Of course the cost, it's expensive compared to other solutions.

I've been using for more than five years.

No problem, in fact it is a characteristic that I like.

No problem, there are very scalable models, everything depends on planning and the requirements.

The technical support in general of IBM, in my personal opinion, could be much better. The truth is that I have never had any problem with them at a hardware level, the service is agile. Things get a bit complicated if the issue is not solved with a replacement part. I would give technical support a seven out of 10.

I have used many solutions, having mounted many projects with storage (NetApp, HPE, Clarion, etc.) but if I had to choose one based on value for money, I think I would stick with V7000.

The initial configuration is simple, but critical because at this point you can make it not work or even damage it completely. I think configuration should be done by a specialist. A storage specialist who had never set up a V7000 would not have problems.

As I have already noted, everything depends on how you want it set up. I think there are others in the market that are equal in cost but much worse.

What other advice do I have?

If you are going to go with a V7000, you will not regret it. Be sure to clarify what you need, and it will give you the expected results.