IBM Streams Review

Provides velocity of data processing and scalability.

What is most valuable?

• Velocity of data processing
  • Scalability
  • One Platform: Has different source connectors, sync connectors, and toolkits
  • Enables the possibility to create one's own special toolkit.
    For instance, a Coherence Java connector toolkit

How has it helped my organization?

We use this product for a TELCO company as the principal analyzer of CDR files. As a result, the TELCO company was able to cut down the time it took to respond of customer needs and there were fewer complaints.

What needs improvement?

The main area is in marketing. I would like to see improvement in the area of maintenance and configuration of mobile phones.

We have used this solution since 2015.

We had some stability issues where we used embedded Zookeeper in production. In terms of the usage in the virtual environment, you need to be carefully when looking after the Streams platform for the reference of available resources.

There were no scalability issues.

In terms of technical support, our experience was more or less very good. There is an excellent IBM Streams professional forum and the regular regional support. The IBM PMR support is great as well.

We used BigInsight and Hadoop in our research area, but our clients needed a real time-solution.

The initial setup was straightforward in some ways. We had a good training course for IBM Streams before we started our first PoC.

We tried some PoCs with Apache Spark for some similar objectives for CDR files. We learned toward Streams due to its streaming process, as opposed to Spark's batch processing style. We appreciated the well- designed architecture, service host distributions, high available options, and TELCO TEDA solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Be prepared for the technical elements and have a management staff with a big data streaming vision.

IBM InfoSphere Streams V.4.2.1.1
**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a IBM Big Data Partner.
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Confluent, Google and others in Streaming Analytics. Updated: September 2021.
536,114 professionals have used our research since 2012.