IBM System Storage DS5000 Series Review

Stable with good scalability and generally easy to setup

What is our primary use case?

It's a storage box with multiple loft space. It is connected with the fiber optic solution. We have fiber optic switches and they are directly connected with that.

We also do the flash copy using that storage. For example, I will read the data backup of our current system and store it on the back. There's one wall of volume over there, which will boot when we are taking a backup and then it shut down automatically. After that, we can make a copy on a tape.

What is most valuable?

The DS 5000 series never has any problems. It's extremely reliable. One time I saw that there was one issue and I didn't remove it. There was an amber light that popped up. I just played with the issue and just fixed it and it was easy. Since then we really don't have any issues.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The product is very costly. Very few can afford it.

The renewal or maintenance of the solution is also expensive. Once things come down, users tend to look to other options.

The solution needs better alerts. If there is a problem, there needs to be a good alert system in place.

I've been using the solution for a couple of years now.

The stability is excellent. It's reliable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. We basically just install it and we can forget we even have it.

The scalability is great. It's not a problem to scale if you need to.

Everything is on the local machine. We wanted to fix that due to the fact that every time we needed the space we had to change a whole box, which was too costly. However, if we need space, we can just install the drives. We are using five hard drives with 12 drives still empty. We can use those at any time to increase the space.

I've never had the chance to talk to technical support. We have absolutely no problems with the solution, and due to the fact it hasn't given us any issues, we've never had to contact them. Therefore, I can't speak to their level of service or their responsiveness.

We didn't previously use a different solution. We've only had IBM from the very beginning.

The installation is pretty straightforward. It's not too complex so long as you are comfortable with IBM. For us, it's not the device that's difficult. It's more about the setup we have.

The pricing is very costly. It's roughly $6,000-$7,000. The solution is not cheap.

What other advice do I have?

We aren't partners with IBM. We don't have a business relationship. We're just customers.

I'd advise others that there are a lot of solutions available on the market. IBM is not their only option.

Overall, it's a great, robust solution. I'd rate it, on a scale from one to ten, at an eight.

More IBM System Storage DS5000 Series reviews from users