IBM System Storage DS8000 Series Review

Great Global Copy and Global Mirror features with an easy initial setup

What is our primary use case?

We offer it as a Cloud solution to our shared clients and we share these devices between multiple clients. That's how we primarily use the solution.

I use it for storing mainframe data. It's used throughout the mainframe applications and the flash copies for DR, as well as replication utilities, to move data from one facility to another. We use just about all the features on it.

What is most valuable?

The Global Copy and Global Mirror features are the solution's most valuable aspects.

IBM's been making strides, improving, allowing you to do safeguard copies for banking industries, which is another version of a DR copy. However, it's not accessible from any host and not immune. It's just more difficult for hackers or malicious attempts within it. They're not accessible to the normal user. It's a nice new feature that they've come up with.

The initial setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the solution is difficult to deal with. Lower pricing would be preferred.

The solution should embedded replication switches into the hardware instead of using them externally.

I've been using the solution for years.

The solution is very stable. There aren't any problems there at all. It doesn't have bugs or glitches and doesn't crash or freeze. We've found it to be very reliable.

While the solution scales and can grow, it's just the pricing for the capacity that grows with it. Organizations need to be aware that the costs will go up as they expand the solution out. The bigger you go, the more you pay.

Currently, we have about 200 users on the solution right now. They just handle setup and management.

The solution is always growing and we're always expanding it.

I've used HDS in the past. I've used EMC Storage Tech, which was bought by Dell at one point. I've used Dell, EMC, Hitachi, etc. All the major players have been used.

We've handled implementation multiple times at this point and we've yet to find the setup complex. It's quite straightforward.

From the receipt of the equipment, the deployment takes probably about three weeks to a month. It doesn't take too long. After that, everything is ready to go.

We have multiple employees that are on the solution handling maintenance.

Right now, the solution bases the pricing on capacity. It can get expensive.

We always look at the competition and do pricing before we ultimately choose which solution we use. That was the case with this product as well. We always look at all the major players in the space.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I'm an outsourcing service provider and I've had a lot of experience using the solution.

We have everything from DS8100 disc storage, all the way up to 8990s.

I'd advise new users to read the implementation installation guide. Most of the questions are answered in there. People just tend to skim over it and don't get into the details. However, it's important in making everything run smoothly and understanding the solution. That's probably the best advice I've actually heard from anybody. At the end of the day, don't be someone who skips the instructions, and all of a sudden you have a pile of parts.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

More IBM System Storage DS8000 Series reviews from users
...who compared it with EMC VMAX [EOL]
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Dell EMC, Hitachi and others in Frame-Based Disk Arrays. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.