IBM Tivoli Access Manager [EOL] Review

It now is available a physical or virtual appliance. This simplifies the management a lot, and the deployment as well.

Valuable Features

Since a couple of versions back, the product moved to a different “mentality” I would say. Compared to when it was deployed as a software package, things are now much smoother in that direction. The product is coming as an appliance (either hardware either virtual). This method simplifies the management a lot, and the deployment as well. It provides SSO across applications, together with risk-based access and strong multi-factor authentication. Very flexible and scalable.

Room for Improvement

There are few things where there is room for improvement:

Log management via UI is one of the them. Automation can be achieved via REST API’s, for example, but in a small environment, when a customer is using the UI, for example, you cannot do a multiple selection of logs (to be deleted let’s say). Or a filtering of those.

A better/easier-to-use (user-friendly) interface. A more intuitive interface and menu navigation would be useful.

Rollback of FixPacks to be available via UI as well. At the moment, if you want to roll back a FP, you can do it only via LMI (appliance console).
Those would be my main requests to be improved.

Use of Solution

I’ve been using the product since 2009.

I think in the earlier versions I was working with, there were (a few times) some small stability issues, but those were related more to the very custom environments on the customer side.

No scalability issues on this side.

Technical support is doing its job mostly. What I don’t particularly like is the flow duration. But it really depends on the magnitude of the problem you have. I would rate it as good to very good in most cases.

I did not previously use a different solution.

Other Solutions Considered

I haven’t used any other vendor’s products.

Other Advice

It is a simple-to-deploy solution, with many features that are supported out-of-the-box without complicated setup. But, depending on your requirements, it can become complex but not hard to manage.