IBM Tivoli Access Manager [EOL] Review

AuthN and AuthZ mechanisms are built-in.

What is most valuable?

Some of the valuable features are:

• Reverse proxy
  • Protected object space
  • Ease of integration
  • Multiple and robust AuthN and AuthZ mechanisms built-in
  • No single point of failure (SPOF)

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the working of our organization by having:

• Multiple endpoints integrated
  • One integration point with reverse proxy for multiple portals

What needs improvement?

The Tivoli Access Manager v6.1.1 (TAMeB) came in a software form factor. It needed a separate LDAP server; and usually separate servers for policy/AuthZ servers and WebSEAL. Besides, for scalability purposes, WebSEAL is usually deployed on multiple front-end servers that are load balanced. For a large user base in a standalone environment, TAMeB requires at least 3 servers. For a simple HA environment, it doubles that number to 6. Now these factors affect the regular maintenance schedule and it becomes quite "bulky" from an infrastructure perspective.

Besides this, TAMeB in its software form factor has multiple software components to be installed in a particular sequence.

Hence, from a TAMeB deployment perspective, both these factors have scope for improvement in its current form.

I have used this solution for five years.

It is highly stable. No issues were encountered by us.

The TAMeB policy server is not scalable.

I would rate the technical support a 8/10.

Before, no other policy-based AuthZ solution was in place at this client.

The initial setup was complex because:

• Bulky server infrastructure was needed.
  • Complex installation procedure.
  • Too many components to be installed in a particular sequence.

The pricing and licensing policy depends on the client deployment needs and the number of end users and servers.

The license for the product is expensive but flexible.

You can choose from the User Value Unit (UVU)- and Processor Value Unit (PVU)-based licensing models.

Before choosing, we looked at another solution, namely CA SiteMinder.

What other advice do I have?

The subsequent version of this product comes in an appliance form factor. The appliance form factor is easy to work with. Thus, you have a choice to select from a virtual or hardware appliance form factor in order to implement this product.