IBM Tivoli NetCool Impact Review

Can connect to any database, able to write custom functions, and easy to use third party tools

What is our primary use case?

Mainly we're using Impact for event engagement. We're also trying to connect from the third party database like IDSM, and fetching the data. It's for event engagements. and for looking at results within the Impact as to the EF flow of data management.

What is most valuable?

The operational views and third party connections to fetch the data and to help engage on more activities are the most valuable aspects of the solution.

We're trying to engage with some automation as well. We're mainly working on the dev automation, and many of the fields we need to engage and resolve are on the DB. We're trying to fetch all the third party DB's like IDSM, and I think we're using data from ServiceNow. To resolve the DB for the automation has been great.

The solution is great at being able to fetch almost any kind of file.

The solution can connect to any database.

We're able to write our own custom functions.

We're able to connect third-party tools to the solution.

What needs improvement?

The accreditation, user interface and operational views could be improved on the solution.

The configuration process needs work.

Everything, including the management part, could be improved.

The solution is somewhat complicated. It's not exactly straightforward.

I've been using the solution for five or six years.

In Netcool we face random road bugs. We had an issue with bugs about two months ago. There were balancing issues. We've also had connectivity issues when we try to connect to the DM. However, beyond that, we haven't faced any issues.

We have about 200-300 users.

I've dealt with technical support in the past and I find IBM to be very, very good. They're excellent. They're supportive and knowledgable and they have a good response time. When a server is down, they are a lifesaving channel.

We mainly deal with technical support from Singapore.

The initial process is pretty straightforward. We need to configure the object server, the DB data processor and align everything with the engagement. Everything must be coordinated according to alerts.

The deployment process was long. It took us about five years.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with IBM.

I'd recommend the solution. It can connect to any type of DB and we're able to fetch any number of things. That said, we have run into connectivity issues occasionally.

As a developer, I'd rate it eight out of ten.