IBM Tivoli NetCool Review

Robust with good integration capabilities and excellent stability

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases for the solution are confidential. However, generally, we use it to monitor all the IT elements in our network, plus some other ancillary services.

What is most valuable?

The solution is a complete package. It has various useful elements including inventory management and incident management packaged inside it.

Anything is possible with Tivoli. It's quite a robust system.

The solution offers a lot of useful integration capabilities.

What needs improvement?

The solution is not user-friendly.

The solution is a bit complex and it would help if it were simplified so that occasional users, such as myself, could manage it better.

As a person who's not well versed in Tivoli, I find handling integrations quite difficult.

I've been using the solution for five or six years. However, I only really manage it if someone from that department is going on vacation. I don't have much experience, but still, I can do some basic troubleshooting.

I've found the solution to have a stability similar to SolarWinds. It may even be a bit more stable than that. It's quite good.

The scalability of the solution is impressive. It's far better than the competition.

We have less than ten admins that are on the solution currently.

I've never been in direct contact with technical support and therefore can't speak to how good they are.

I've used SolarWinds before. I found it easy to use and simple to troubleshoot. The front-end software was very straightforward.

The initial setup is a little complex. I wouldn't consider it straightforward.

I'm not sure how long deployment takes.

We have some Tivoli specialists that manage the Tivoli solution. My experience is on the Cisco networking side, and since I don't normally work with the solution, I'm not sure if I can provide too much detail on implementation.

What other advice do I have?

I'd advise companies that it's difficult to get a person that specializes in a bunch of different solutions and can really understand them fully. It's much better to be an expert on one solution than to try to be an expert on many. If a person wants to specialize in Tivoli then they should focus on just that one solution and know everything there is to know about it.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

More IBM Tivoli NetCool reviews from users