IBM Watson Explorer Review

Does the work of hundreds of people, reading, interpreting, and classifying articles

What is our primary use case?

We are constructing a heterogeneous knowledge base from scientific papers and from about 100 different publishers, around 50,000 titles of scientific journals. We are using Watson to create a big index of the articles.

How has it helped my organization?

If a human would do this kind of job, we would need some 200 people working all day to read and interpret the papers. This is why we chose Watson to do the job for us.

So it's the time to read and interpret and classify all the articles.

Trial/evaluations only.

We haven't used it in production yet so I can't answer this.

We have not used IBM technical support yet.

We have been using a paid index from a company called Xlibris. We saw that we needed to buy or build our own solution. We chose Watson because it has federated search and automated color. These are the main features that we needed. We also chose it because of the support in Brasil.

In terms of the decision-making process to go with Watson, I only recommended it, and they accepted the idea of using it.

We looked at Microsoft but their solution is in the cloud. We needed an on-premise solution.

What other advice do I have?

There are really only four solutions in this industry. What impressed me more about Watson is that it is easy to use it, not for the technical people, but for business people. The approach of the solution is 85% of the effort is from the business side, and 15% is from the technical side. It's not our main responsibility to do. The training is for the user.